Contactless and cashless payment systems have grown at an unprecedented pace. The two tech-giants viz. Google and Apple are leading this fast growth from the front. Google owns Google Pay and Apple boasts Apple Pay. Both of these independent and contactless payment methods have achieved a huge user base around the world in a short time.
With the significant growth in perspective, we could help but think if it is possible to send and receive money between these two payment online payment platforms. So, after some rigorous research, we have collected enough info regarding inter-payment protocols between Google Pay and Apple Pay.
We have framed our research into questions and answers and these questions are asked frequently by users of respective payment systems. So, stay with us till the end.
How to transfer money from Google Pay to Apple Pay?
Google Pay and Apple Pay are two widely used and trusted online payment systems. Both these independent and closed payment systems work inside an ecosystem of users who use the same method to make cashless transactions. This means, Google Pay can be used to send amounts to Google Pay users only and Apple Pay users can send or receive money to and from Apple Pay users only.
Both system do not support direct inter-platform transactions and you cannot use Google Pay to transfer money to an Apple Pay user and vice versa. This has been confirmed by the officials of both the company.
What’s the Alternative way of Sending Payments between Apple Pay and Google Pay?
Now that it is well understood that there is no direct way to send or receive payments between Google Pay and Apple Pay, we move towards possible alternatives. Luckily, we have one and it is an absolutely legal way to move money.
So, to transfer money from Google Pay to Apple pay, you will need a mediator. And, you can transfer money from one payment system to another via this mediator. The mediator here is your bank account. You can send money from your Google Pay to a bank account (yours or someone else’s) and from there the money can be extracted to Apple Pay.
To explain more, Google Pay and Apple Pay allow their users to send payments to their respective bank accounts. Once the payment reaches the bank and your account gets updated, you can easily transfer it to your Apple Pay and use it for any purpose you desire.
This indirect method is the only way out to facilitate any sort of monetary exchange between these two payment platforms viz. Google Pay and Apple Pay.
How to Transfer Money from Apple Pay to Google Pay?
Nope! This is not possible directly. The close ecosystem for a device or a service is now a hallmark of Apple which is also known as the “Apple Ecosystem”. But, when it comes to payments, even Google Pay maintains a closed system to facilitate security and transparency of the payments.
So, with the obvious hindrance, you cannot transfer money from your Apple Pay to your Google pay or the other way around.
You can use the alternative way where your bank account plays the role of a mediator. You can send money from Apple Pay to your bank account and once the money is credited to your account, you can transfer it from there to your Google Pay account.
How to Transfer Money from Google Pay to a Bank Account?
Now that we know a bank account can be used as a middleman to transfer money from one closed payment system to another closed payment system, it is required for us to know how to transfer money from one closed payment system to a bank account.
Here is how you can send or transfer payments from your Google Pay account to a bank account.
1. Using the Google Pay app on your smartphone
- First, open the Google Pay app on your smartphone and unlock it
- Search for the Payment section and tap on it. You can find it at the lower or bottom part of the screen
- Now Tap on Google Pay Balance Section and tap on the “Cash out” option
- Once tapped, you will be asked to enter the amount you want to withdraw from your Google Pay account
- Enter the amount and confirm the payment method as Bank.
- Once the bank is selected, tap on transfer to initiate the payment process
- This will take a while and it will be completed soon
- That is it. Your amount will be successfully transferred to the bank account you entered within 3 to 5 business days
2. Use a PC or a Laptop
- To the Google Pay website and look for the payment methods in Settings. Make sure you are logged in first.
- You can also tap on the link to access Payment methods on your Google Pay
- Once the Payment section is open, find the “Transfer Balance” option. You will find it under the Google Pay Balance
- Enter the amount you wish to transfer
- In the next window, confirm the payment method (bank) and click on “Transfer” to complete the transaction
- It takes around 5 business days to complete the transactions and the money will be deposited into your bank account.
How to Transfer Money from Apple Pay to a Bank Account?
So, now that you know how to transfer money from your Google Pay account to your bank account, it is time to learn how to transfer payments or money from Apple Pay to a bank account. It is pretty simple and you will understand it in a jiffy!
Here is how you can transfer money from your Apple Pay to a bank account –
- On your iPhone, open the Wallet App
- Find and go to the Apple Cash card and tap on the 3 horizontal dots icon
- From there, tap on the “Transfer to Bank” option
- Enter the amount of money that you want to transfer to the respective bank account
- Tap next and tap on 1-3 business days
- The app will ask you to verify your identity and you can do the same by using Touch ID, Face ID, or the Passcode
- And, it is done!! Now the amount will be deposited to the entered bank account in 1-3 business days.
- It has been seen that it often gets done within 24 hours. Sometimes, it takes longer due to heavy server load or busy season.
How much money can you send on Google Pay?
With Google Pay, there are some limitations on how much money you can send and receive. This amount varies and depends on the status of the users.
In General, Google allows the users of Google Pay to keep a maximum amount of $25000 at any given time in their Google Pay wallet. This includes the current rewards balance in your Google Pay account.
When it comes to transactions, Google Pay users can transfer a maximum of $5000 per week if the user is verified. Unverified users can send only $500 per week.
How much money can you send on Apple Pay?
With Apple Pay too, there are some limitations or caps on how much money you can send in a given period.
You can send or receive a maximum of $10000 per message on Apple pay at a time. The weekly cap is also at $10000.
If you wish to transfer money to a debit card or your bank account, you can transfer a maximum of $10000 at a time and within 7 days, you can transfer up to $20000.
Can I use Google Pay to Withdraw Money at an ATM?
If the ATM near you supports contactless payments, then you can use Google Pay to Withdraw money from the ATM. Here is how you can withdraw money from an ATM near you using Google Pay.
- You need to look for the contactless symbol at the ATM center.
- If it exists, then you can use your smartwatch or smartphone that has Google Pay installed on it and is NFC-enabled near the symbol
- Simply open the Google Pay app and choose the debit card you want to withdraw money from
- Keep the phone or the smartwatch over the contactless symbol on the ATM Machine
- The ATM will ask for your PIN to withdraw money and once you enter the correct PIN, it will dispense the cash.
Can I use Apple Pay to Withdraw Money at an ATM?
Again, if the ATM near you is NFC-enabled and supports contactless transactions, then you can use your Apple Pay to withdraw Money at such ATMs.
Here is how you Can use Apple Pay to Withdraw Money at an ATM:
- Go to the Wallet app on your iPhone or Apple Watch
- Choose the debit card that you would like to use
- Place the phone or the watch over the contactless icon or symbol on the ATM
- Confirm that you want to use the card using Touch ID
- Enter the PIN (ATM PIN) into the ATM and you are done!
It is quite clear that there is no direct medium to transfer money from Google Pay to Apple Pay and Vice versa. You need to use your bank account in between. Nevertheless, both of these platforms are reliable and secure when it comes to making payments. In case of any errors, their customer support tries their best to resolve your issue. There might be other questions and doubts hovering over your curious head. Feel free to put them in the Google search bar and someone like me will try to answer them with full details.