Apple Pay is a contactless payment system that lets you pay for things using your iPhone or Apple Watch. You can use Apple Pay to transfer money via the Apple Cash function. We’ll show you how to apply for and set up Apple Pay, as well as which major stores in the United States accept it, in this post.
The popularity of contactless payment systems has increased dramatically in recent years. These payment methods provide protection and convenience, making them a popular choice among consumers. The Apple payment system, which includes Apple Cash, Apple Card, and Apple Pay, is having a tremendous year. The reputation and quality of the brand name Apple must be a major factor for its popularity.
With lots of choices, comes a lot of confusion. This seems to be the case with Apple payment systems. Despite their popularity, they can be pretty confusing for newcomers and this is what exactly we tackle in this post, Stay tuned!
What is Apple Cash?
Apple Cash is basically a peer-to-peer payment service that allows you to send, receive and request money from people in your contact through Apple’s iMessage. It is an integrated part of the Apple Pay Platform and is inbuilt into the Apple Pay ecosystem.
According to Apple, it is a “prepaid debit card in your Apple Wallet app” where you have to add money using your other debit cards in the Apple Wallet. You can use Apple Cash with all your iOS devices like iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and Mac
A virtual card exists within the Apple Wallet where all the money you receive via Apple Cash is loaded. Apple Wallet is a composite app for storing credit cards debit cards, loyalty cards, tickets, boarding passes, and much more.
When you receive money from a contact, it gets deposited in a digital Apple Cash card in the Apple Wallet after you agree to the terms and conditions to allow this. Further, you can use it to make payments while shopping in stores either online or physically. You can also transfer your Apple cash balance to your bank account or to the particular bank account linked to Apple Pay.
Apple Cash vs. Apple Pay vs. Apple Card
Apple payment platforms can be a real pickle for new Apple users. With all the different names like Apple Pay, Apple Cash, and Apple card, it can create havoc of confusion. So, it takes some time and reading to familiarize oneself with the payment ecosystem to iOS and WatchOS. Once you get comfortable with them, you will feel the breeze of convenience they offer along with flexibility which is pretty valuable.
Apple Pay is the Umbrella
- Apple pay is the actual payment system or protocol that allows iPhone or Apple users to carry out digital transactions.
- Apple Pay is present in the Apple Wallet app and was meant to replace physical payment cards. It is equivalent to Google Pay and Samsung Pay where you don’t have to cart around with debit cards in your wallet.
- You can load the information of physical credit and debit cards into the Apple Pay system which creates a Virtual Credit card.
- You can use this credit card to make online payments or in-store payments without reaching out for your wallet to get out the card.
- Apple Pay needs an authentication ID to start a payment process. This can be either a Face ID, Fingerprint, or passcode to prove your identity.
- You can hold your iPhone or Apple Watch near NFC-enabled terminals until a confirmation pops up. At online stores, you will verify your identity and the system will do the rest of the job for you.
- Apple Pay is autonomous but you can supply an Apple Card as one of your other credit cards or use Apple Cash to move funds from and to your contacts.
Apple Card is more like a Virtual Credit card
- Apple Card is a virtual credit card supported by Goldman Sachs and Mastercard.
- It functions like a real credit card just like one that you have in your wallet or purse. There are interest rates on payments and a cashback on every purchase of up to 3%.
- But instead of your wallet, Apple Card sits as a digital card on your iPhone in the Wallet app.
- You can also apply for a physical card from Apple and they will send you a titanium rectangle with your name engraved on it which is pretty slick.
- The physical Apple card is meant for those rare purchases where there is no availability of virtual Apple Pay.
- So, you can see Apple card is just one more card that you can add to your Apple Pay system. This means you are using a digital credit card backed by Goldman Sachs instead of those from Wells Fargo or Chase.
- Apple card is great for two reasons – Convenience and security.
Apple Cash is a cash exchange system between two Apple users (or a Virtual Debit card)
- Apple cash is a service provided within the Apple pay system that allows you to send and receive money via iMessage. This works between two people.
- It is also quite possible to ask Siri to send someone money from your contacts. This is like a virtual debit card, unlike an Apple card which is a virtual credit card.
- Apple cash card will be used by default when you send money via voice command but you can change it to use your other physical debit card instead.
- You can also use a combo of both an Apple Cash card and a physical debit card if the amount to be sent is more than the balance on your Apple cash card.
- When you receive money, it will get deposited in the Apple Cash card which can be used for other payments or deposited in a bank account.
Can you use Apple Cash on Amazon?
Both Apple Cash and Apple Pay are not compatible with Amazon. So, you cannot use any of these payment systems to pay your bill directly on Amazon. But, there is an indirect method that allows us to use Apple Cash for Amazon shopping,
You can use your Apple card as a mediator to use Apple Cash to purchase items from Amazon’s online marketplace. Since an Apple card works like any other credit card, you can use Apple cash via an Apple card. More on this will be discussed later in this post.
How to Set up Apple Cash?
If you are looking for a guided step-by-step process to set up and use Apple cash with Amazon, you are at the right place.
First, let us see how to set up Apple cash on your iOS device to make it work. Follow the steps provided and you are good to go.
- Go to the Settings app on your iOS device (iPhone or iPad)
- Search for or scroll down and tap on Wallet & Apple Pay option
- Now, Toggle On Apple Cash
- Tap on Apple Cash under the Payment Cards option
- Now, tap continue and follow the instructions prompted on the screen to complete the setup process of Apple Cash.
Once Apple Cash is set up on your iOS device, you can add money using your Debit card and make payments using it via the Apple Pay platform. You can also send money via iMessage or transfer money from Apple Cash to your own bank account.
How to Add Money to Apple Cash?
You will require to add money to Apple Cash from your bank account via your debit card. Only then, you can use it for payments and other stuff. So, you can follow the steps to learn how to add money to Apple Cash –
- First, Open the Wallet App on your iPhone or iPad
- Now, Tap on the Apple Cash Card
- Next, tap on the More option (the three white dots)
- Click on Add Money option
- Enter the desired amount that you want to add. The minimum limit is $10
- Now, Tap on Add
- Confirm the debit or bank card that you want to use to add money
- Confirm the billing address to make sure it is correct
- Confirm again and provide authentication via Face ID, Touch ID, or Passcode option
- And You are done!
How to use Apple Cash on Amazon?
Like I said earlier, you cannot use Apple Cash directly to make payments on Amazon for your shopping and stuff. But, you can use an Apple Card (a virtual credit card) for Amazon shopping. Since both Apple Cash and Apple Card are linked to the Apple Wallet app on your iOS device, you can use the balance on your Apple Cash to pay for your Apple Card.
Add Apple Card to your Amazon Account
- Go to the Amazon app or the website on your iOS device. For a website, you will need to use an internet browser like Safari or Chrome.
- Sign in to your Amazon account
- Now tap on the menu (looks like a hamburger) at the top left corner of the app screen
- Next tap on the “Your Account” option and then tap on “Manage Payment Options”.
- Now, scroll down and find Add New Payment Method option. Tap on it.
- Next, Tap on Add a card.
- Now, you need to fill out information related to your Apple Card
- To find the related information about your Apple Card
- ■ Open the Apple Wallet app on your iPhone
- ■ Tap on your Apple Card and then tap on 3 white dots (More option)
- ■ Next, tap on Card Information. You will be asked to authenticate using Face ID or Touch ID.
- Once you have all the info added to Amazon, Tap Confirm.
- Your Apple Card is now added to your Amazon account. You can pay for your shopping via the Apple Card now.
Steps to pay your Apple Card monthly with Apple Cash
- Go to the Wallet app on your iPhone or iPad and tap on Apple Cash Card
- Next, tap on the Pay button (black in color)
- Slide the dial with your finger to choose the amount you want to pay
- Tap on Pay Now
- Next, click on your bank account
- Toggle on the Apple Cash switch so that it is green
- Now click on the Back option
- Next, use Face ID, Touch ID, or Passcode to authenticate the payment and complete it.
- This is how you pay your Apple Card dues with Apple Cash.
Does Apple Cash have any limits?
Like all other payment systems. Apple Cash also has a limit on the amount you can send, receive or pay.
- The maximum amount you can have on your Apple Cash account is $20000
- You can have only $4000 if you are a part of the Apple Cash Family
- You can send and receive a minimum of $1 and a maximum of $10000
- The weekly limit of transactions is also $10000
- The weekly limit falls to $2000 if you are a part of the Apple Cash family
- For adding money from a bank or debit card, the minimum limit is $10 and the maximum limit is $10000
- You can add a maximum of $10000 per week and $2000 per week under the Apple Cash family
How do I get an Apple Card?
With Apple Card, you get a new level of privacy and security with your payments It is embedded into the Apple Wallet app for a healthier payment system. So, if you want your Apple card, you will have to apply for it online.
Here is how you can apply for Apple Card using your iPhone.
- Go to the Wallet app on your iPhone and tap on the add button (+) sign
- Now, select Apple Card and click Continue
- Complete the application with the correct information
- Review your Application
- Agree to the Apple Card Terms and Conditions
- Accept the limit and APR offered on your credit limit
- After you agree to your limit offer, Apple Card will be added to your Wallet app
- You can now request a Titanium Apple Card
Note – If you are using an iPad, you can go to the Settings app and scroll down to tap on Wallet & Apple Pay. From there, tap Add a card and select Apple card. Now follow the instructions given above to complete your application process.
If and when your application gets approved, you will have 30 days to accept the offer. You will have to accept the offer and add an Apple card to your iOS device.
If your application is not accepted, you will have to make sure that you are eligible for an Apple card. In order to be eligible for an Apple card –
- You must be 18 years old or higher. This depends on your location
- You must be a US citizen. You should have a valid physical US address (not a PO box) and you should be a lawful resident. A military address can also be used.
- Your iOS device must be compatible with Apple Pay. Make sure that iOS, WatchOS, or macOS.
- iPhone models with Face ID
- iPhone models with Touch ID (Except iPhone 5s)
- iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad, and iPad Mini models (with Face ID or Touch ID)
- Apple Watch Series 1 and above
- Mac Models with Touch ID
- Mac Models that came in 2012 or later with an iPhone or Apple Watch with apple-Pay enabled
- Mac Computers with Apple Silicon (paired with Magic keyboard for Touch ID)
- You must use your Apple ID and 2-factor authentication to sign in to your device
- You need to lift the freeze temporarily if you have a freeze on your credit report. This is necessary to apply for an Apple card
- You must use your Driver’s License or State-issue photo ID to verify your identity.
What major US Stores Accept Apple Pay?
Apple Pay works for all of the major stores in the US. Here is a list of some of the big names –
- Disney Store
- Forever 21
- Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, Run by Foot Locker
- House of Hoops
- Office Depot
- Urban Outfitters
- Coca-cola Vending
- Sports Authority
- Jamba Juice
- White Castle
- Walt Disney world
You can check the complete list here.
Once you go with Apple, you don’t go back. This was usually the case with iPhone users. The situation is similar with the Apple Pay ecosystem as well. The ease, compactness, and security that you get with Apple Pay (Cash and card as well) are unmatched. You don’t have to be bothered with a wallet or physical cards and your iPhone is all you need. You can also use your Apple Watch for that matter. This contactless payment system has been a boon during a pandemic like COVID-19 and it has been thriving since then. I hope you got your thirst quenched with all the answers!!