There are several possible reasons your Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on. These include a low battery, a disconnected cable, or a malfunctioning device. If you’re having trouble turning on your Ionic, try troubleshooting these issues to see if you can get it working again.
What are the possible reasons Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on?
If you own a Fitbit Ionic smartwatch and it is not turning on, there can be several reasons behind it. Some of the possible reasons are:
If you have been using your Fitbit Ionic for an extended period of time, it will die on you eventually due to battery drainage. So, it is quite possible that the battery is dead and you cannot turn it on again.
So, before reaching any extreme conclusion, you should make sure that your Fitbit has enough charge. You can plug in your Fitbit Ionic to its charger and wait for a couple of hours and then try turning it on. If it doesn’t power on even after that, it is time to move to the next reason.
The charger of your Fitbit Ionic can break down like any other electric or electronic device. It might start malfunctioning and thus not charge your Fitbit Ionic. In such a scenario, you can either change the charger or check the charging port for any damage or debris.
The battery inside your Fitbit Ionic might also be damaged after continuous use or due to a factory defect. You can confirm the same by visiting a professional or the nearest service center for the device.
Bugs in the Software or the Firmware
The firmware or the software on your Fitbit Ionic is subject to regular upgrades and sometimes, a glitch or bug might be introduced into it via one of these upgrades. This can further hamper the performance of your Fitbit Ionic and even make it fail to turn on.
In this type of situation, you can either upgrade the firmware if it is not updated to the latest version. If the version is the newest one, you can seek the help of a technician or the official service center for fixing the issue.
Your device is too old
All electronic smart devices have a certain life span, after which they start slowing down and eventually shut down to never wake up again. This happens with your smartphone, your laptop, and also your Fitbit Ionic fitness tracker. So, if you have had your Fitbit Ionic with you for quite a long time, it is time to change it with a new one.
How to Fix Fitbit Ionic won’t Turn on Issue?
There are a few tricks that you can use when your Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on. The fixes are mentioned below –
● Restart your Fitbit Ionic
This is the most fundamental or basic trick to try and fix the issue of your Fitbit Ionic when it doesn’t power on. This method is quite safe because you won’t lose any data or settings on the device. Here are the steps to follow to restart your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch.
● You need to press and hold the bottom right button and the left (or Back) button for a few seconds until the Fitbit logo appears on the watch display.
● Release the buttons once the Fitbit icon appears.
● You can restart your Fitbit Ionic in this fashion for few times to solve the issue.
● You can also alternate the charging and restarting process for this trick to work.
● Charge your Fitbit Ionic to a 100 percent battery level
Even though you are sure that your Fitbit Ionic has some charge to turn on, you need to charge it for a couple of hours. This should turn on your Fitbit Ionic.
When charging, make sure you are using a wall socket power source and not your laptop or computer ports for charging. Charging from computers or laptops is slow and it might not work as well as the outlet in your room.
You can also try the restarting trick while your Fitbit Ionic is still plugged into the charger.
● Check and Replace the Charger
A faulty charger is a common issue when rechargeable devices don’t power on. The device fails to charge itself and thus there is no juice left to turn on. So, it might be necessary to inspect your Fitbit Ionic Charger along with the charging cable to make sure it is not damaged or loose.
You should also make sure that the charger pin is making substantial contact with the device which is essential for proper charging of your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch. You can try some other charging adapter to make sure that the charger is not the issue.
● Clean your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch
When your Fitbit Ionic is malfunctioning, it can be due to some dust, lint, or grime stuck in the charging area of the smartwatch. You should clean your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch properly. This might fix the issue of your Fitbit Ionic not turning on and also give a new look to your smartwatch. To clean your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch you can adopt the following methods –
● You can use alcohol and a microfiber (soft) brush to clean the charging contacts and the cable pins. After cleaning, let the device dry before you start restarting it.
● To clean the buttons and the screen, you can again use alcohol and a small price of lint-free cloth. You should not use any cleaner containing Hydrogen Peroxide or other bleaching agents.
● At last, clean the bands using a clean toothbrush, microfiber cloth, or a Q-tip with some water or disinfectant. Keep the watch to dry off completely before using it.
● Factory Reset your Fitbit Ionic Smartwatch
If none of the simpler tricks mentioned above are successful in turning on your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch, it is time to take the drastic measure- Factory Reset. You should be aware that with Factory Reset, you will lose all the unsynced data on your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch along with any personalized settings. The device will return to its “out-of-the-box” state, essentially.
Here are the steps to follow to reset your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch –
- Remove your Fitbit Ionic for your Fitbit account on the Fitbit app on your phone or other smart devices.
- Unpair or delete the Bluetooth pairing
- Now, press and hold all the buttons on your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch
- Keep on pressing the buttons until the Fitbit logo disappears.
- Now, Release the “Bottom Right Button” only
- Wait while pressing the other buttons until you feel a vibration
- Now, release all the buttons
- Now, your Fitbit Ionic is Reset
- You can follow the setup process to pair your device again with your smartphone or laptop.
- Contact the Fitbit Customer Service
If the Factory Reset fails to fix the problem, it is time to contact the professionals at Fitbit and ask for help or the replacement of the device. They are there to offer you the best solutions. You can replace your device for free if the warranty period is valid and they fail to fix your issue.
Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on After the update: What to do?
It is necessary to keep your Fitbit Ionic updated to the latest version of the firmware to take the maximum benefit and support of the features on the device. Upgrades are meant to make your device work better and improve the user experience with new and refined features.
But, sometimes, an update brings in a hidden bug or glitch which can do worse than good to your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch. So, if you have been facing the issue of “Fitbit Ionic not turning on” after a recent update, here is what you can do to rectify the problem.
As per Fitbit Website, the only way to fix this kind of problem is to restart your Fitbit Ionic device.
To restart you can press and hold the back button (on the left) and the bottom button (on the right) together until you see the Fitbit logo appear on the watch display. Make sure your Fitbit Ionic is fully charged. This is because the battery drains faster during a software update.
If your problem persists, you shouldn’t wait any further and contact customer care for a professional fix of the issue.
Fitbit Ionic Won’t Turn On After Factory Reset: What to do?
Here are the steps to follow if your Fitbit Ionic won’t turn ON after a Factory Reset. This should fix your issue once and for all.
- Charge your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch for an hour or so
- After that, Go to the Fitbit app on your smartphone and tap on your avatar or profile picture
- Find “Devices” in the new window and tap on it
- Now, tap on the “Sync Now” option
- If the syncing proceeds, it means that the device is on and is connected to your smartphone
- Next, tap on the Clock face and apply any of the clock faces to your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch
- If your Fitbit Ionic has no hardware issue, this should turn on your device.
Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on after shutdown.
In recent, there have been many complaints from users whose Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on after a shutdown. While there is a suspicion that it is due to some bug or programming issue, the exact reason is still unknown. Further, there is no official troubleshooting or information regarding the problem on the Fitbit Website as well.
Regardless of the reason, there is a solution that has worked for many users and thus it is worth giving a chance. Here are the steps to fix the same:
- You need to force restart your Fitbit Ionic by pressing the left (back) button and the button (right) button simultaneously for around 20 seconds.
- When the Fitbit logo appears, release the button.
- You can recharge your device and try the force restart method again if it doesn’t work the first time.
What to do when Fitbit Ionic won’t turn on when I turn My Wrist?
If you are a hardcore Fitbit fan, you know that the “Screen Awake Feature” is awesome. You don’t have to touch the screen to wake it up and a simple raise or turn of your wrist will do the trick for you.
But, it has been reported by many users recently that, the screen won’t wake up when they turn or raise their wrist even when the feature is enabled. Here are a couple of fixes that you can try to solve this issue.
Check the Settings and make sure that the “Screen Awake feature” is enabled. Here is how you can do it –
- Turn on your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch and press and hold the left button for a while
- Keep on pressing the button until the “screen awake” settings are displayed on the watch screen
- Now, inspect the setting and make sure that it has been set to “Auto”
- If the “Auto” option has not been toggled on, enable it.
- If the screen awake feature is still not working, you can force restart your Fitbit Ionic device and try again the same steps.
- This should fix your issue
Factory Reset your Fitbit Ionic and all the settings will be restored to their default configuration.
To finish the reset process, follow the steps outlined in the next query.
How to factory reset Fitbit Iconic?
There are two ways to factory reset your Fitbit Ionic smartwatch. You can use the app’s settings or the buttons on your watch.
Using the settings on the app if your device is turning on
- Swipe left on your Fitbit Ionic app and find the Settings app
- From the settings menu, Go to About by tapping on it
- Here you can scroll down and you will find Factory Reset or Clear User data option
- Tap on it to start the factory reset of your Fitbit Ionic
Using the buttons of your Fitbit Ionic
- Hold and press all three buttons together on your Fitbit Ionic device until it reboots.
- When the Fitbit logo is displayed on the watch screen, release the bottom right button
- Keep on holding the rest of the buttons until you feel a strong vibration. After the vibration, let go of all of the buttons.
- All of your data will be erased and your Fitbit Ionic will take a little longer than usual to turn on after a factory reset.