Fossil watches have been around for a long time and have garnered huge popularity over the years. Now, with the rise of smartwatches, Fossil doesn’t plan to miss out on the adventure ergo, Fossil smartwatches. Fossil smartwatches are quite capable devices with top-of-the-line hardware and features. All these advanced features come in elegant-looking watches which makes Fossil smartwatches lovable among its users.
Most of the Fossil smartwatches miss out on LTE or cellular features. While they have all the sensors and capabilities of a high-end smartwatch, they cannot take calls or exchange texts on their own.
So, in this article, we have answered some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the ability of Fossil smartwatches when it comes to texts and calls. Let us see how Fossil smartwatches can be configured to perform these tasks seamlessly.
How to receive Text Messages on Fossil Smartwatch?
Most of the Fossil Smartwatches don’t come with a cellular feature and they rely on the connection to a smartphone to receive text messages. If you are not in a proximal distance from your phone or in range of coverage Bluetooth, your Fossil smartwatch will get all the text notifications that come to your smartphone.
The latest Fossil Gen 5 LTE Smartwatch comes with a built-in cellular feature and your smartwatch can independently function for receiving texts on its own.
For the non-cellular versions of Fossil smartwatches, you will need to set up your Fossil smartwatch with your Android or iOS smartphone.
Setting up a Non-cellular Fossil Smartwatch with an Android smartphone for receiving texts
- First, you will need to download the Wear OS by Google from the Google PlayStore
- Once the app is installed open the app and follow the instructions on the app to set up Wear OS
- Tap “Allow” to connect your Android smartphone with your Fossil smartwatch
- Once connected, select your language of preference and the name of your Smartwatch
- Enable Bluetooth on your Android smartphone and tap pair to connect it to the smartwatch
- Now, your Fossil smartwatch will automatically get updated with notifications from your smartphone.
- Now, follow the instructions and prompts to copy your Google accounts and synchronize your contacts along with your calendar. Further, enable your smartphone to forward calls and text notifications to your Fossil smartwatch
- Now, at last, tap “Allow” on your Android smartphone to allow notifications to display on your watch
Setting up Non-cellular Fossil Smartwatch with iOS (iPhone) smartphones for receiving texts
- If you are an iPhone user, you need to download the Wear OS by Google from the iOS App Store
- Once the app is downloaded and installed, you will need to follow along with the on-screen instructions on your iPhone.
- Next, Tap “allow” to permit your iPhone to access your Fossil Smartwatch
- Choose your preferred language and the name of your Smartwatch
- Now, Tap “Pair” to connect your Fossil Smartwatch to your iPhone through the Bluetooth
- Once the connection is established, the WearOS app will automatically update your Fossil smartwatch with notifications
- Next, you will need to follow the prompts and instructions on your iPhone to copy Google accounts to your Fossil Smartwatch. Allow it to access and sync your contacts and calendar.
- Next, allow the Wear OS app to access your calls and texts
- Finally, allow your smartwatch to display notifications from your iPhone
Setting up cellular Fossil Gen 5 LTE to receive texts
- On the screen of your Fossil Gen 5 LTE Smartwatch, press the Power or Home button to access the all apps screen
- Tap on the Messages icon
- You can swipe up and down to see all the text messages.
- You can tap on a particular thread that you wish to view and read.
How to receive Calls on Fossil Smartwatch?
If you own a non-cellular Fossil Smartwatch, you need to make sure that it has a built-in speaker and microphone if you wish to receive or take calls via the smartwatch.
You should also make sure that your Fossil Smartwatch is linked to the Wear OS app on your smartphone. This is the medium that syncs and sends calls from your smartphone to your Fossil smartwatch.
If your Fossil Smartwatch doesn’t have a microphone and speaker installed in it, you won’t be able to take any calls via the smartwatch. Nevertheless, you will still get the incoming call notification but you will have to answer the call using your smartphone.
If you are a proud owner of the Fossil Gen 5 LTE smartwatch, your smartwatch has cellular capabilities and you can easily receive calls via it. When there is an incoming call,
- Simply tap the answer button as you would do on your smartphone to take the call.
- You can also adjust the volume of the call by tapping the Menu icon and then tapping Volume.
- You can now drag the red circle right or left to adjust the call volume as per your liking.
Can you answer calls on a Fossil Smartwatch?
As I said, two important hardware features are needed if you wish to answer calls on a Fossil smartwatch. They are –
- A built-in microphone
- A built-in speaker
Next, ensure that the Wear OS app installed on your smartphone is linked to your Fossil smartwatch and the notifications are allowed to be sent to your Fossil Smartwatch.
If your Fossil Smartwatch is missing the microphone and built-in speaker, you will still be able to see the notifications of incoming calls but you won’t be able to answer those calls via the Fossil smartwatch. So, check the features of your particular Fossil smartwatch before buying it.
With the LTE model of Fossil Gen 5, you can answer the calls like you would answer using your phone as the Cellular Fossil Gen 5 uses its own SIM to provide you with LTE features. So, you can answer an incoming call simply by tapping the Green answer button.
Can Fossil Gen 5 text and get calls?
Fossil Gen 5 is the flagship line of smartwatches from Fossil. It comes with all the top features and sensors that a high-end smartwatch needs to have.
The Fossil Gen 5 comes with a built-in microphone and speaker. Thus, once you get it paired with your smartphone via the Wear OS app, you will receive text and call notifications from your smartphone to Fossil Gen 5 smartwatch.
As Fossil Gen 5 supports the text message feature, you can receive as well as send messages directly from your smartwatch without using the phone. This can be quite helpful when the phone is not within your reach and you need to reply as quickly as possible.
If you own the LTE version of the Fossil Gen 5, things get even more smooth with text and calling features. As the Fossil Gen 5 LTE is fully capable of functioning as a cellular device on its own, you do not need to pair it via the Wear OS for receiving calls and notifications of texts. The smartwatch itself can be used to read, send texts and take calls.
Can Fossil Gen 4 text and get calls?
If you own and love your Fossil Gen 4 smartwatch, you will be partially happy to know that the smartwatch is capable of receiving and sending text messages on its own.
The unfortunate part is that the Fossil Gen 4 doesn’t have a built-in speaker. So, you won’t be able to answer or take calls via the watch. While you will be notified when there is an incoming call on your smartphone, you will have to reach out to your smartphone to answer the call.
Again, make sure that Wear OS on your Android smartphone is installed, updated, and paired to your Fossil Gen 4 to receive texts and other notifications.
Can Fossil Sport text and get calls?
Fossil Sport is a robust and inexpensive line of smartwatches from Fossil. Since Fossil Sport is a budget device, some features are missing that are needed for you to take calls on it. Fossil Sport doesn’t have a built-in speaker and this prevents the user from taking calls via the watch itself.
However, if the Smartwatch is connected to a functional and updated smartphone via Bluetooth, it can receive and send text messages on its own. All you have to take care is of the Wear OS app on your smartphone. Make sure it is active and synced to the smartwatch to share and send notifications.
Can Fossil Gen 5E text and get calls?
Fossil Gen 5E is a mid-ranger that comes with a touch of premiumness and a sense of affordability. With the best of both worlds, you can use it to take calls and receive texts. You can also reply to a text message via the Fossil Gen 5E smartwatch.
Fossil Gen 5E comes with a microphone and speaker hardwired into the system. Thus, it is inherently capable of receiving calls on its own. Again, make sure WearOS is connected and active. Your smartwatch must be connected to the smartphone via Bluetooth.
How do I receive calls on my Fossil Smartwatch?
Non-cellular Fossil smartwatches rely on the Wear OS app installed on your smartphone to receive calls. They do not have the LTE capability to function on their own to receive calls. The moment you are out of the range of Bluetooth connectivity, your smartwatch loses its connection with your smartphone and you won’t be able to receive any incoming calls.
For the LTE version of Fossil Gen 5, you can use it independently of the smartphone to take calls.
To take a call, you put your finger on the right side of the watch screen and swipe left. This is also a common finger gesture to take calls on many smartphones. So, it won’t be an issue for you.
How do you reply to a message on a Fossil Smartwatch?
When you get a text notification on your Fossil Smartwatch, tap the message to read the full text.
- Swipe up on the message
- You will “Reply” as an option
- Tap on the “Reply” option
- Now, you can speak your message and the smartwatch will convert it to text. You can also use short message templates to reply.
- Only some Fossil smartwatches provide the option to type a message which is still quite uneasy given the size of the screen of the smartwatch.
- So, it is recommended to use voice typing or the template options to reply to a message.
What app do you use for Fossil Smartwatch?
Fossil doesn’t provide its own app for its smartwatches. It rather uses the famous Wear OS app developed by Google. Wear OS is great and responsive and works great with Fossil smartwatches.
So, if you want to pair your Fossil Smartwatch with your smartphone, you will need to download and install WearOS from PlayStore (Android) or AppStore (iOS).
WearOS is one of the best Operating Systems for smartwatches with great features like Google Fit, and Google Play. You also get tons of watch faces and other fun apps to use on your Fossil smartwatch.
Can you use a Fossil smartwatch with an iPhone?
Yes, since Wear OS works fine on iPhone, you can use your Fossil Smartwatch with your iPhone. Make sure the iOS version is 10 or higher.
With iPhone, there are some limitations as you cannot use iMessage from your iPhone on your Fossil Smartwatch.
Fossil Gen 5 is the only version of Fossil Smartwatches that allows taking calls from an iPhone via Bluetooth. Older versions of Fossil smartwatches cannot do so. You will only see the notifications from apps and texts but cannot reply to them.
So, after going through these detailed and specific explanations, you know how to configure your Fossil smartwatches (cellular and non-cellular) to receive texts and take calls. Make sure the OS on the watch and the smartphone is up to date and the Wear OS is upgraded as well. With all these things done right, you should be having a blast with your Fossil smartwatch.