The two tech leaders in the market viz. Apple and Samsung have their respective Health apps viz. Apple Health app and Samsung Health app. While Apple has imposed lots of limitations of syncing of data from the Apple Health app with other third-party fitness apps, it allows the syncing of data with the Samsung Health app which is quite rare.
In this guide, you will be provided with all the steps and detailed pieces of information regarding how to sync the Apple Health app with the Samsung Health app seamlessly.
How to Connect Samsung Health to an iPhone?
Samsung Health is a fitness app from Samsung that is developed to monitor your health and fitness in a detailed manner. It has all the essential features like recording and analyzing sleep patterns, SpO2 during sleep, body composition, physical fitness, and much more. The best part is that it is available on the Apple iOS App Store apart from the obvious Google Play Store.
So, you can use it on your iPhone as well. Let us see how to connect Samsung Health App to iOS.
- On your iPhone, go to the App Store and search for Samsung Health App
- Once you find it, download and install it like you download other apps from the App Store
- After the app is downloaded and installed, you can launch it from the App Store to open it.
- Allow the dialog box that pops up to allow notifications from the Samsung Health app.
- On the next screen, you can either log in with a Samsung account that you have or you can simply skip it for the moment.
- Again, tap Allow for all other permissions that the Samsung Health app asks for.
- Now, you are on the Home screen of the Samsung Health app and it is connected to your iPhone now.
How do I transfer Apple Health Data to Android?
If you have been using Apple Health as your primary health for a long time now and planning to switch to another app on an Android phone, you would want to transfer your Apple Health data to the App on your Android smartphone.
Transferring Apple Health data to Android takes two steps only. First, you will have to export your Apple health data to a data exchange format which is XML, or to an easier tabular format which is CSV. After that, you will have to import this data to the Android app of your preference.
EXPORTING THE DATA
Method – 1 – Exporting Health data using the Apple Health App
- Open the Apple Health app on your iPhone
- Once in the app, tap the profile picture of yours at the top right of either the Health Data or Today tabs
- You will see “Export Health Data” in red at the bottom of your profile
- Tap on “ Export Health Data” and it will take a while for the exporting to complete
- Once the data exporting is finished, you get multiple options to share the data
- Select your sharing option and the data will be shared via that method in a ZIP file format. When the ZIP file is extracted, it gives out an XML file.
Method -2- Exporting your Apple Health data using a third-party app
This method is recommended because it exports the data in a more convenient and usable CSV format which can be easily opened in excel or sheets.
- There are many apps available on the App Store. QS Access is one of the preferred apps.
- Once the app is downloaded and installed on your iPhone, Launch the app.
- Once in the app, you can select the export data option. You can export data in two different forms. You can either export data of one-hour interval or one-day interval. The one-hour interval data will amount to big a large data file which might be too much for the app to handle. So, it is recommended that you export day with a one-day interval
- Now, you can select all the data points you want to export like Active calories, heart rate, step counts, etc
- Once you are finished with selecting the data points you need, tap the create table option at the lower corner on the right side of the screen
- You will be prompted with a message asking to grant the QS Access app permission to access the Apple Health data and use it. Select all the categories provided and tap done.
- The app will create a CSV file and display it on your screen. You can tap the share icon to email the file to yourself or someone else you trust.
IMPORTING THE DATA TO THE ANDROID
You can use third-party apps like Health Data Importer from Lionheartsw to import XML health data files to certain compatible health apps on Android like Garmin Connect, Strava, and Endomondo.
Importing Apple Health data to Garmin Connect app
Only the CSV format of the data exported from the Apple Health app can be imported to Garmin Connect App. So, make sure you have exported CSV data earlier. You can also convert the XML file to a CSV format. Here is an explained method of how to efficiently do this.
Once the CSV files are ready, tap on import functionality on your Garmin Connect app. You can import data year by year only with Garmin connect. So you need to split the data based on year.
Can you use an Apple watch with the Samsung Health app?
Samsung Health app is a multidimensional health app that works on both iOS and Android smartphones. But, when it comes to compatibility with Apple Watches, you will be disappointed as Apple Watches are not supported by the Samsung Health app.
You can use the Samsung Health app with many other devices, instead.
- Fitness Trackers that work with Samsung Health app
- Samsung Galaxy Fit, Fit 2, Fit e
- Samsung Galaxy Gear Icon X, Gear Fit 1, Gear Fit 2, and Gear Fit 2 Pro
- Partron Urban HR, Urban-S Plus, and Urban Pro
- Samsung Galaxy Watch, Active, Active 2, Watch 2, Watch 3, Watch 4
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic
- Samsung Galaxy Gear S, S3, S4
- Samsung Gear, Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, Gear Sport
- Bike Sensors
- Garmin Bike Speed and Cadence sensor
- Gpulse cycling speed and cadence sensor
- Polar Cadence and Speed Sensor
- Wahoo Cadence, RPM Speed, and Blue SC
- Trek Bontrager DuoTrap Digital Speed and Cadence sensor
- Trek Bontrager DuoTrap S Digital Sensor
Can I use Apple Health on Android?
Apple Health is one of the most loved Health apps. It has great features and metrics for fitness enthusiasts and promotes a better lifestyle for its users. But, like everything that comes from the Home of iOS, Apple Health is limited to iOS devices only.
Apple maintains a closed system with its apps as well and Apple Health has not skipped that norm. So, you cannot use the Apple Health app with your Android device at all as Apple Health is not available on the Google Play Store.
But, you don’t have to mourn over this fact as there are many great apps for Android devices that are as good as Apple Health and some of them even provide a little extra than the Apple Health app.
You can use Google Fit instead which brings in the same level of features as Apple Health and you can connect or sync it with multiple devices to record and analyze your fitness data.
Samsung Health is another amazing and useful app that you can use as an alternative to the Apple Health app. If you are a Samsung Phone user then you will always get something extra from the app that the rest of the phone brands don’t get.
How do you pair Apple Watch without iPhone?
A couple of years back, you couldn’t use an Apple Watch without having an iPhone first. But with changing times, Apple has bent some of its own rules to make Apple Watch usable without an iPhone. This is called Family Setup. The requirement is iOS 14 and WatchOS 7 to use a Family setup which in a way allows you to pair Apple Watch without a corresponding iPhone for it.
You will still need one iPhone for the setup process though. But, with this one iPhone, you can set up and use as many Apple watches as you want without the iPhone.
Here is how you can pair an Apple Watch without its own iPhone.
Step 1: Update to iOS 14 and Watch OS 7
- On the iPhone go to Settings and then General
- From there, tap Software Update and update your iPhone iOS to iOS 14 if not updated already
- Now, for the watch, open the Watch app on your iPhone and go to General and then to Software Update
- The Watch app will either tell you that you have the latest update or prompt you to download the latest update and install it for your Apple Watch
Step 2: Pair your iPhone to Apple Watch
- Switch on the Apple watch that you want to set up and keep it near the iPhone
- You will soon see a pop-up on your iPhone saying “Use your iPhone to set up this Apple Watch”. Tap Continue on the pop-up.
- If no such pop-up appears, go to the Watch app and tap the link to All Watches at the top and then tap the Add Watch link
- Next, Tap on “Set Up for a Family Member” and tap Continue on the next screen
- On the next screen, you can read how Family Setup works, and once finished reading, tap continue again
- Select the language, and region and tap the Start Pairing option.
- Now, use your phone camera to capture the swirling circle on the watch. Once the circle is captured, you will get a notification saying that the Apple Watch is paired.
- Now, tap the Set Up Apple Watch option
Step 3: Setting up the Apple Watch
- Now, you will have to select the orientation of the Digital crown and provide info about on which wrist your Apple watch will be.
- Once done, tap Continue and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Choose all the customizations as per your preferences
- Next, add the family member you are setting up this watch for. Sign in with the family member’s Apple ID and Password on the next screen.
- A temporary verification code is sent to an iOS device like an iPad if the family member uses one. Enter that to continue.
- Next, connect to a WiFi network and set up the cellular (if you have a cellular Apple Watch)
- And you can now use this Apple Watch without any particular iPhone tied to it.
Can two Apple watches share the same phone number?
Your Apple Watch (cellular and non-cellular) acts as an extension to your iPhone. When you pair a cellular Apple Watch to your iPhone, the virtual SIM or eSIM on your Apple Watch is just a copy of the actual cellular connection or physical SIM Card on your iPhone. Though the number is different, it is still keyed to the iPhone’s phone number and wouldn’t exist without it.
So, if you plan to use two different cellular or LTE Apple Watches without your iPhone, both of them will have different virtual Simcard with their number. Yes, both these numbers are representative of your iPhone’s phone number but they won’t be the same as they are identity numbers.
Though you can connect two Apple Watches to a single iPhone, you cannot use both of them simultaneously. Only one Apple watch is functional at a given point in time. Thus, two Apple Watches cannot share the same phone number at all.
Can you pair two iPhones to an Apple Watch? How?
Apple Watch has to be one of the most sought smartwatches among smartwatch enthusiasts and the things it can do go beyond imagination. With all the features and sensors that Apple Watch has, still, a single Apple Watch cannot be connected to two different iPhones at a given point in time. If you were looking for a way around it, I am sorry to disappoint you. It is simply not possible with any hacks.
But, you can connect more than two Apple Watches to a single iPhone simultaneously. If you think about it, this is more practical as a user can have two Apple watches depending on the needs of their lifestyle.
Here is how you can add multiple Apple watches to an iPhone –
- Go to the Apple Watch app on your iPhone
- On the app, tap the “My Watch” option
- Tap on your particular watch model and after that tap “Pair new Watch”
- Now, you can follow the prompts on the screen to pair the second Apple watch
- When asked. Tap Set up for me option
- Now, allow the Viewfinder in the Apple Watch app to find the Apple Watch via the camera. This will connect the two devices
- Now, tap on the “Setting up Apple Watch” option and follow along with the prompts on your iPhone to finish the process.
Is it Possible to Sync Samsung Health Data with Apple Health?
Apple Health app supports very few other health apps for syncing data and Samsung Health is one of the lucky ones. The users can easily sync Samsung health data with the Apple Health App.
The process of syncing Samsung Health data with Apple Health data is quite simple and you can do it without sweating.
How to Sync Apple Health with Samsung Health?
Users who want to use a Samsung Smartwatch with an iPhone, generally need to sync their Apple Health data with Samsung Health data.
Things you need to do before starting the syncing process
- Download the Samsung Health app on your iPhone
- Download the Samsung Gear app on your iPhone
- Create a Samsung account to get access to the Galaxy Store using the Samsung Gear app
- Setup your Samsung Galaxy watch with the iPhone
Once your Samsung Galaxy smartwatch is connected or paired with your iPhone, you will begin with the syncing process between Samsung Health and Apple Health app.
- On your iPhone, Go to Settings and tap the Health option
- Once you are in the Health section, find the “Data Access and Devices” option
- After you find and tap it, find “Samsung Health App” and select it
- Now, toggle on the data that you wish to sync with Apple Health
- You are done!
After Samsung Health is in sync with the Apple Health app, all the data about steps, walking distance, and running distance on the Samsung Health app will be shared with the Apple Health app. Apart from these data points, you cannot sync anything else. If you want to share more, you might need to have a conversation with customer support at Samsung.
Can I Sync data from the old Samsung watch to the new One?
Well, Syncing data from an old Samsung smartwatch to a new one is one of the easiest tasks to do. There is no need to manually transfer your old fitness data from an old Samsung watch to a new one.
The only thing you need to do is connect the new Samsung Galaxy watch of yours to your Samsung Health app and sync your Samsung Health profile. And Voila!! Within a few minutes, the syncing of data will be over. And your new Samsung watch will have all the data from the old one.
Can I Sync data from the old Apple watch to the new One?
Apple maintains a closed ecosystem with its devices. This means, with a single Apple ID or iCloud account, you can sync all of your devices at once. So, if you purchase a new Apple Watch and are worried about the data on your old Apple Watch, you shouldn’t be worried at all.
As soon as you pair your new Apple Watch with the Apple ID and your iPhone, all the data from the Apple Health App is synced with the new Apple Watch without any manual transferring. This will take a while to complete. But, once it is done, you will be able to access all your old health stats from the new Apple Watch.
Can I use Apple Watch with a Samsung smartphone?
Nope! Not possible at the moment. Apple Watch is designed to work as an extension of your iPhone and there is no other smartphone brand that can be used with it.
If you are looking for a workaround to use Apple Watch with the Samsung smartphone, there are some hacks available but you will have access to very limited features from the Apple Watch. Given the price at which Apple Watches come, you should be looking at using the Apple Watch to its full potential. And this is only possible with an iPhone.
To make things more complicated, any workaround would still need an iPhone initially to pair the Apple Watch. So the whole idea of bypassing the iPhone is not possible anyway.
Can you Import data into Samsung Health App?
When it comes to importing Health app data into Samsung Health App, Samsung is very restrictive about it. So, there is only one other Health app that can be synced with the Samsung Health app for data. Apart from that Samsung doesn’t allow its users to import data from any other apps at all.
To Import Data from Strava to Samsung Health App
- On your smartphone, go to Samsung Health App
- Go to More > Settings > Connected Services
- Selected Strava from the option and now both apps are connected
- Once the accounts get connected, Strava will start sending data to the Samsung Health app automatically.
- These data include route information, type of activity, distance, time, and calories to the Samsung Health app
- If you have synced other third-party apps with the Strava app, those details will also be imported into the Samsung Health app